Research has suggested that approximately 1 out of 4 people in the U.S. deal with chronic knee pain. If you are one of those who are struggling with this condition, you’re certainly not alone. Knee pain can be tricky to manage especially if symptom management is attempted without professional guidance. However, symptoms have the potential to significantly improve through physical therapy. Physical therapy can be an effective and therapeutic treatment for a variety of conditions including knee pain. Keep reading to learn about the benefits of PT for knee pain and to see some examples of what your physical therapist may have you do during a session.
What are the benefits of physical therapy exercises for knee problems?
Physical therapy can benefit someone who has problems with their knees in several ways:
- Reducing knee pain — One of the primary benefits of physical therapy exercise is that it can help relieve knee pain. If you are struggling to manage knee pain, PT may be able to help. During each session, a PT specialist will work with you to perform pain-relieving exercises within your threshold.
- Improving the range of motion in the knee — Another benefit of PT exercises is that they can improve the range of motion in your knee. If you have stiffness or tightness in your knee, there are several ways to use exercise to loosen the area up.
- Breaking up scar tissue — Physical therapy also has the capability to break up scar tissue. Sometimes old knee injuries can cause scar tissue to build up and limit mobility around the knee joint. PT exercises can gradually break up some of that scar tissue so that you can move your knee with more ease and less pain or stiffness.
- Reducing the need for surgery — Physical therapy can reduce the potential need for surgery. Research has shown that physical therapy can be just as effective at treating certain conditions as surgery can be. It has also shown that complications associated with PT exercises are significantly less than those associated with surgery.
Keep in mind that these are not the only benefits of physical therapy. There are several other advantages that PT can offer for individuals with knee pain and even other physical conditions.
What are some examples of physical therapy exercises that may help knee pain?
There are several kinds of exercises that can be performed to improve knee pain during physical therapy. If you’ve never gone to PT for your knee before, here are a few general exercises that your therapist is likely to ask you to complete:
- Wall sits — Wall sits are a type of exercise that can be used to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstring muscles to protect your knees. To do this exercise, you will need to place your back flat against the wall and then bend your knees as if you were sitting on an imaginary chair. Hold for several seconds to a minute as instructed by your therapist.
- Leg raises — Leg raises are also designed to build muscle strength around the knee for greater protection. To do a leg raise, you’ll lie flat on your back. With one leg on the floor or PT table, you’ll then raise the other leg up into the air slowly. Your therapist will let you know how long to hold it for.
- Swim kicks — Swim kicks are a gentle way to exercise your knees during physical therapy. Some physical therapy clinics offer aquatic therapy as a method to treat their patients’ conditions, like knee pain.
Let Lattimore PT help you get started with the right physical therapy exercises for your knee pain
Lattimore Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Network first got its start in 1992. John and Cindy Shuman, husband and wife, first launched their own physical therapy practice with the aim to improve the quality of life of each member of their community. Since 1992, Lattimore PT has opened nearly 30 locations across New York.
Our team of talented physical therapists across the state is dedicated to understanding the best treatment for you. We specialize in taking a “hands-on,” interactive approach with each of our patients to provide them with the best care possible. We love to see our patients thrive, which is why we’ll do as much as we can to help get them to that point. The physical therapists at each of our Lattimore locations take pride in their work and do their best to come to the clinic each day with a smiling face. We aim to make each physical therapy session enjoyable yet productive. The ultimate mark of success, to us, is a patient who feels positively impacted by our work. Are you ready to experience “the Lattimore way”?
We want to help you deal with your knee pain and other bothersome symptoms. Knee problems can be a challenge to deal with on your own, but fortunately, you don’t have to. We’ll help you address the cause of your knee pain during physical therapy and use therapeutic exercises to treat it. Is your pain getting in the way of your favorite activities? If so, it’s time to schedule a visit with us. We’re dedicated to making you more comfortable and helping you get started on the path toward relief.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.