Do you frequently experience throbbing, aching or sharp pain in your head? Do these headaches occur every day or nearly every day? Daily headaches may have become your new norm, but should you be considering them as normal? In short, the answer is no. You shouldn’t dismiss everyday head pain as a regular occurrence in your life. For many people, regular head pain can be a signal of a deeper issue that may need to be addressed with professional treatment.
Headaches are a normal experience and extremely common. But when they start happening frequently, this could indicate the presence of a headache disorder. If you’ve noticed that your head hurts nearly every day, you’re not alone. Research shows that nearly 1 out of every 20 adults in the world has headaches every day. It’s time for you to read below and learn about the causes and ways that PT treatment can help.
What might cause headaches to occur every day?
There are several potential reasons someone might have headaches that occur with regular frequency. The conditions that can cause frequent head pain include:
- Chronic headaches.
- Cluster headaches.
- Tension headaches.
- Secondary headaches.
Should I be worried about headaches that occur every day?
Headaches that occur once every while aren’t usually much cause for concern. When you begin to experience headaches that interfere with your ability to perform daily functions or when painful headaches start to happen every day, that’s a different story. Excessively painful or frequent headaches are a signal that you should seek a medical professional who can diagnose and treat your symptoms.
You should immediately seek a physical therapist’s or other medical professional’s guidance if you experience pain that’s starting to get worse or you notice changes in your personality. If you notice changes in your mental state, you should be sure to seek care. If you have pain in your head after a head injury or notice that you’re begun to slur your words, have poor memory, or have nausea, you should immediately seek emergency medical treatment. This could be a sign of a traumatic brain injury that must be treated by a medical professional.
How can physical therapy help someone who gets headaches every day?
Physical therapists are a great resource for people who get frequent and even daily headaches. Physical therapy offers a number of useful benefits including:
- Building muscle strength — Muscle strength is important for reducing strain and tension around the neck, shoulders, and head that could be contributing to your headaches.
- Reducing muscle tension — Another benefit of physical therapy treatment for everyday headaches is that it can release some of the tension that has built up in the muscles around the head and neck. Physical therapists know all the right exercises and movements to help relax your muscles and reduce tension-related headaches.
- Improving posture — Some people develop head pain from poor posture. A physical therapist can help you correct your posture and improve your abdominal and back strength so that your headaches can get better once your posture improves.
- Improving pain levels — A physical therapist may be able to reduce the amount of inflammation, swelling and tension around your head to ultimately decrease the amount of pain and discomfort you feel every day.
- Increasing the range of motion in your neck — When a physical therapist reduces the tension in your muscles and increases your flexibility, not only can your headaches improve but also the range of motion in your upper body.
Lattimore PT can provide you with the treatment you need for your frequent headaches
Lattimore Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Network started in 1992. John and Cindy Shuman, husband and wife, first launched their own physical therapy practice intending to improve the quality of life of each community member. Since 1992, Lattimore PT has opened dozens of different locations across New York.
Our team of licensed physical therapists across the state is dedicated to understanding the best treatment for you. We specialize in taking a “hands-on,” interactive approach with each of our patients to provide them with the best care possible. The ultimate mark of success is a patient who feels positively impacted by our work. Are you ready to experience “the Lattimore way”?
We can help address your headache concerns in a way that makes you feel cared for and engaged. Our Lattimore PT team will help you get started on your journey toward recovery from everyday headaches. You’re not just another chart. Each patient deserves help. Let us be the ones to give it to you.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.