According to research, about 25% of adults in the U.S. experience frequent knee pain that inhibits physical function and quality of life. This number suggests that frequent knee pain is a relatively common condition to experience. So, when does it require treatment specifically from a physical therapist? To learn the answer to this question, take a look at the information provided below. We’ll go over what conditions can cause knee pain, what treatment options there are and why you should choose physical therapy.
What are some conditions that can cause knee pain that may need treatment?
There are a wide range of conditions that can cause knee pain. The severity of the pain and the length of time that it’s likely to last depends on its root cause. Some examples of conditions that may cause pain in the knee are inflammation of the bursae, muscle weakness, inflammation of the joints, ligament tears, infections and osteoarthritis.
What are some treatment options for knee pain?
If your pain does not get better within a few days, it may be a good idea to consider your treatment options. Here are some of the treatment options for individuals who have pain or discomfort around their knees:
- Physical therapy — One treatment option is physical therapy. Physical therapy is a gentle, noninvasive and effective method for treating a variety of conditions. To learn about which signs indicate you should get PT for your knee, read here.
- Anti-inflammatory medication — Anti-inflammatory medication, like NSAIDs, can help temporarily reduce pain and inflammation. This option typically only lasts for a few hours at a time.
- Cortisone shots — Cortisone shots contain an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving mixture that is inserted into the joints. This can help temporarily relieve pain but may require multiple injections.
- Hot and cold therapy — Using heated packs or ice packs can help temporarily relieve knee pain at home but may not do the trick for long-term relief.
Why would knee pain benefit from physical therapy treatment the most?
Now that you’ve read through some of the treatment options that are available for knee pain, check out the reasons why knee pain would benefit the most from physical therapy treatment:
- It’s noninvasive — One of the key benefits of physical therapy treatment for knee pain is that it is noninvasive. Physical therapy doesn’t require the use of needles or surgical incisions. It is a gentle treatment method designed to improve a patient’s condition through exercise and movement.
- It has long-lasting effects — Another benefit of using physical therapy to treat a knee condition is that its effects are long lasting. The effects of physical therapy treatment can last far beyond a patient’s last session. Most patients report experiencing the positive effects of PT for weeks, months and even years after they finish treatment.
- It can be just as effective as surgery — Physical therapy treatment can be beneficial for patients dealing with knee pain because it typically works as well as surgery. Research has shown that the outcomes of PT can be just as effective as the outcomes of surgery.
- It can delay or reduce the need for surgery — Some studies suggest that physical therapy can be used to delay or even reduce the need for surgery in patients with certain knee conditions.
- It has more of a whole-body approach — Another benefit of physical therapy for treating knee conditions is that it adopts more of a whole-body approach than many other treatment options. Medications, injections and surgery are all designed to target a specific problem area. However, physical therapy is designed to address a problem area as well as the areas around it.
Let Lattimore PT help you get the right physical therapy care for your knee problems
Lattimore Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Network first got its start in 1992. John and Cindy Shuman, husband and wife, first launched their own physical therapy practice with the aim to improve the quality of life of each member of their community. Since 1992, Lattimore PT has opened nearly 30 locations across New York.
Our team of talented physical therapists across the state is dedicated to understanding the best treatment for you. We specialize in taking a “hands-on,” interactive approach with each of our patients to provide them with the best care possible. We love to see our patients thrive, which is why we’ll do as much as we can to help get them to that point. The physical therapists at each of our Lattimore locations take pride in their work and do their best to come to the clinic each day with a smiling face. We aim to make each physical therapy session enjoyable yet productive. The ultimate mark of success, to us, is a patient who feels positively impacted by our work. Are you ready to experience “the Lattimore way”?
We feel confident that we can help you manage your knee condition and all the symptoms that accompany it. Our team understands how much knee problems can affect your daily activities, which is why we are dedicated to improving the lives of our patients. Is your knee pain interfering with the quality of your life? If so, it may be time for you to schedule a visit with us. Don’t wait to start receiving the care you need. Schedule a session with us today to get started on the path toward relief.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.